For Immediate Release 5/26/2017
Sinead McNair and Alvin Thompson each pled guilty to one count of child abuse resulting in death. The couple was charged after their two-year-old child died of a methadone overdose.
Assistant State’s Attorney Brian Marsh prosecuted the case.
On August 14, 2016, two-year-old Korri Thompson was transported to the hospital by her parents in critical condition at approximately 3:30 a.m. Upon arrival, McNair told emergency room personnel that her daughter drank an unknown substance outside their home and became unresponsive.
At approximately 7:00 a.m., police stationed at the hospital interviewed McNair and Thompson. Both parents said that their daughter ingested an unknown substance outside of the family’s home. Later that afternoon, at approximately 2:00 p.m., doctors informed Thompson and McNair that they intended to treat the child for possible anti-freeze ingestion. At this point, the couple admitted to the doctor that there was methadone in their home, and that they suspected that their child had ingested a drink laced with methadone.
At approximately 10:00 p.m., both parents were advised of their Miranda rights, and both elected to speak with police about what actually took place prior to their child’s hospitalization.
Investigators learned that McNair discovered the child had been in the bathroom with an Everfresh bottle that contained Thompson’s “stuff”— a half-and-half drink laced with prescribed methadone.
Thompson and McNair asked the child if she drank anything from the Everfresh bottle, but the child answered “no.” Thompson tried to take the child for a walk, but she had difficulty walking. McNair said her daughter looked lethargic, and slept most of the afternoon.
When Thompson put the child down to sleep for the night, he noticed that her heart was not beating properly. He took her into the bathroom, ran a bath, and splashed her with water. When she did not respond, he dressed her and took her to the hospital.
More than 14 hours had passed before McNair and Thompson decided to take their daughter to the hospital. The couple told the police that they were afraid—which prevented them from seeking medication attention for their daughter sooner.
The Office of the Medical Examiner ruled this case a homicide caused by methadone intoxication, and advised that the child’s death could have been prevented with a dose of Naxolone.
“The saddest part of this case is that had the parents brought this precious child in for care as soon as she started showing symptoms, she likely would have survived,” said State’s Attorney Marilyn Mosby. “It is always a tragedy when we lose such a young life, but it’s even more exacerbating when the child’s death is caused by the neglect of her own parents. My hope is that the rest of Korri’s family heals from this and her parents get the help they need while incarcerated. ”
Thompson was sentenced to 40 years in prison suspend all but 15 years and five years of supervised probation with no unsupervised contact with minors. McNair is scheduled to be sentenced on August 8, 2017.