Office of the State's Attorney for Baltimore City

September 27, 2013 -- Baltimore City Circuit Court Judge Martin P. Welch sentenced Todd Marrow — who was convicted of second-degree murder and a weapons violation for killing a man following a dispute about a football wager — to 30 years in prison with all but 12 years suspended and three years of probation.

At approximately 3 p.m. on February 19, 2012, Marrow and another unidentified man pulled up to a home in the 1300 block of McHenry Street and got out of a black Nissan 350Z. At about the same time, the victim, Orville Chamblee, exited a nearby home and walked toward the vehicle. The car's driver, Marrow, walked to the trunk, removed an object, and approached Chamblee while swinging the object at him with his left hand. Chamblee raised his hands in a defensive manner and started backing away. Marrow, as he continued to swing the object with his left hand, began making stabbing motions at the victim with his right hand. After Marrow made a final lunge at Chamblee, the victim looked down at his leg and started to walk away. Marrow and his passenger, who stood by and watched the attack, got back into the car and left. The incident was captured on a surveillance camera.

Law enforcement located Marrow later that night inside of a different vehicle in the 300 block of S. Stricker Street. A search of the vehicle produced a hollow walking cane that doubled as a sheath for the removable sword inside.

The investigation revealed that Marrow and Chamblee had an argument about a football bet that Marrow refused to pay. When Marrow discovered that his tires were slashed the day prior to the murder, he went to Chamblee's girlfriend and announced that he was looking for him. Marrow declined the girlfriend's suggestion to contact police, saying it was too easy to get locked up in prison. Instead, he said, he wanted to crucify Chamblee. Marrow later admitted to police that he fought with Chamblee, but he denied using a weapon.

Chamblee was discovered unresponsive approximately five blocks away from the scene of the attack. He was declared dead at 3:48 p.m. at Shock Trauma. The cause of death, according to the medical examiner, was a puncture wound to his right thigh that lacerated a major vein and artery.

Following a five-day trial and two hours of deliberations, a Baltimore City Circuit Court jury convicted Marrow in July 2013 of second-degree murder and use of a deadly weapon with the intent to injure. The State sought the maximum sentence for second-degree murder: 30 years in prison.

"This was a tragic and senseless murder over a minor dispute that should have been resolved with a conversation, not a killing. I commend the police and our prosecutor for fighting to produce justice for the victim and his loved ones, and we hope this outcome will help them to achieve a sense of closure," State's Attorney Bernstein said.

Assistant State's Attorney Charles Blomquist prosecuted the case.