The Office of the State’s Attorney is seeking to fill the position of Assistant State’s Attorney (ASA) to handle Special Victim’s Unit (SVU) prosecutions. An SVU prosecutor performs progressively responsible legal work for the Office of the State’s Attorney for Baltimore City involving preparing and litigating physical and sexual child abuse, child homicides, adult sexual offenses, domestic violence, elder abuse and child human trafficking cases. Work of this class involves no supervisory duties or responsibilities.
This is a lateral position that requires:
1. Knowledge of the principles and practices of law, including court procedures and legal research methods and sources;
2. Skill in using a personal computer and commonly utilized business and legal software in the performance of duties;
3. Ability to handle a high volume court docket involving a variety of complex cases effectively;
4. Ability to interview victims and witnesses to gather information, research relevant case law and codes for applicability to varying legal issues, determine appropriate sentence recommendations and guidelines, and to develop strategies and theories for effective case prosecution;
5. Drafting and preparation of a variety of legal documents, including but not limited to briefs, motions and legal memoranda;
6. Coordination with other City and State agencies that provide assistance, protection and services to victims and witnesses;
7. Participation in Community Engagement Initiatives; and,
8. Performance of related work as required.
Employees in this class, in most cases, work a conventional schedule commensurate with the need to be prepared for trial. Work is primarily performed in an office where normal working conditions are encountered. The work requires minimal physical exertion.
- Demonstrated interest and background in these cases, highly organized, ability to work independently.
- Graduation from an accredited law school and admitted to practice law in the State of Maryland with Felony Jury Trial experience.
- The applicant is required to pass a drug and alcohol screening and a criminal background investigation, which includes fingerprinting.
Salary starting at $68,562 commensurate with experience. Compensation also includes competitive benefits package.
All interested persons should email a cover letter, resume and writing sample to email@example.com. Consideration of resumes will begin on February 19, 2019 but remain open until filled. Please use SVU Assistant State’s Attorney as the subject reference of your email. Documents must be in pdf or Word format.
THE OFFICE OF THE STATE’S ATTORNEY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER