Job Description: The Assistant State’s Attorney hired in this position may opt to remain in the Juvenile Division. The juvenile component of the statewide criminal justice system emphasizes rehabilitation and diversion out of the criminal justice system. Assistants may be assigned cases and investigations as soon as the Baltimore Police Department forwards notice that a juvenile involved incident has occurred in Baltimore City. Once assigned, the ASA may keep the case through resolution. This position is non-supervisory. Typical required duties may include, but are not limited to:
- litigating juvenile motions and cases, both misdemeanors and felonies
- investigating and preparing juvenile delinquency matters for trial
- preparing victims, witnesses, police and experts for trial
- managing court appearances calendar
- preparing written motions, responses and memoranda
- engaging in peer case reviews
- attending office-wide trainings and presentations
- researching relevant case law
- representing the State at all points of case progress through the juvenile system, including competency, detention hearings, adjudications
- examination of expert witnesses
Requirements: Candidate must possess a juris doctor degree and be licensed to practice law in the State of Maryland. The ideal candidate will be highly organized, a team player and possess the ability to work in a high pressure environment. All experience levels considered.
This is a full-time, local government public service position which may qualify for application for Federal Student Aid Public Service Loan Forgiveness.
Salary range: $73,474+
Comprehensive benefits package: full range of health insurance provider options, vision insurance, dental insurance, deferred compensation option, life insurance, 10+ paid holidays per year, vacation leave, sick leave, and personal leave. Newly hired candidates are automatically enrolled in the City of Baltimore Employee Retirement Pension System. The selected candidate will be required to pass a criminal background check before starting employment.
To Apply: Applicants should email a cover letter, writing sample and resume to email@example.com with a subject line reference of “Juvenile Division Prosecutor”. In the body of your transmittal email, please also indicate Juvenile Division Prosecutor as the position for which you are applying. Applications are being accepted until the position is filled.
THE OFFICE OF THE STATE’S ATTORNEY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER