Office of the State's Attorney for Baltimore City

For Immediate Release 7/19/17

East Baltimore—Brian Bolding, 37, was sentenced to 10 years in prison for a violent stabbing on a MTA bus.

Assistant State’s Attorney Matthew Pillion handled the case.

In the late afternoon of December 12, 2015, while driving the Number 5 bus, an MTA bus driver reported that he heard an unknown male on his bus shouting and threatening to kill another passenger. According to the driver, he then turned around and saw the man, who was yelling, holding a male passenger in a headlock and stabbing him repeatedly with a knife. When the driver ordered all passengers to exit the bus, the suspect also exited and fled the scene, running down Madison Street. As the victim staggered off the bus, the driver came to his aid by compressing his wound in an attempt to stop the bleeding until medics arrived. 

At approximately 2:40 p.m., police responded to the bus at the intersection of N. Central and Madison avenues. The victim was lying on the ground bleeding after having been stabbed repeatedly in his back, face, stomach, and arms. He was transported to Johns Hopkins Hospital for surgery to treat a collapsed lung and other injuries. 

After the victim’s surgery, police spoke with him about the circumstances of the stabbing. The victim recalled that he had been riding the bus to work when a man he had never met began to stare at him. The victim asked, “What are you looking at? Do you have a problem with me?” and the stranger became confrontational. According to the victim, more words were exchanged, and the two men each stood up in the isle. When the suspect reached in his pocket, the victim told police that he assumed the man was reaching for a weapon. Provoked to defend himself, the victim struck the suspect in the face. A fight ensued, and the victim told police that he could feel himself being stabbed repeatedly and eventually realized he was bleeding. At this point, the victim also pulled out a pocket knife and stabbed the male in return. He remembers the bus coming to a stop, the suspect running off, and the bus driver helping him until medics arrived. 

As part of their investigation, police officers followed a trail of blood down Madison Avenue, where the suspect fled. Although the suspect was not located that night, DNA samples were taken and returned a match to the defendant, Brian Bolding.

Upon his arrest, Bolding was transported to a police station where he admitted getting into a fight with the victim over a misunderstanding and fleeing the scene afterward, but denied stabbing anyone during the exchange. In recorded jail calls after being booked, Bolding was recorded acknowledging his role in the stabbing that day. In the recordings, he also admitted to running from the scene, and commented that decision “made [him] look guilty.”

"Unprovoked acts of violence will not be tolerated, especially in public spaces where there's an expectation of safety," said State's Attorney Marilyn Mosby. "Thankfully this defendant will now spend the next 10 years of his life behind bars due to his heinous and reckless acts of violence demonstrated on public transportation."