Office of the State's Attorney for Baltimore City

For Immediate Release 8/10/2017

Southwest Baltimore— Darrion Mallette was convicted by a Baltimore City jury of being a prohibited person in possession of a regulated firearm and illegally possessing ammunition.

Assistant State’s Attorney (ASA) Megan Acquaviva prosecuted the case.

On February 7, 2017 at approximately 12:58 p.m., a person placed two 911 calls, gave an address in the 700 block of Linnard Street in Southwest Baltimore to the operator, then hung up without giving further information. Officers were dispatched to investigate. 

Upon arrival, Officer Andre Smith observed five men sitting on the front porch of the address provided during the 911 call. When the officer approached, the men jumped up and began to flee on foot. The officer noticed Mallette clinching the left side of the black jacket he was wearing. The officer believed the defendant was carrying a gun and chased him. 

During the chase, Mallette ran to the rear alley of the 3600 block of Eversley Street and discarded his black jacket. A short while later, the officer was able to detain Mallette. 

Once Mallette was in custody, Officer Smith went back to the alley and located the jacket. Inside the left front pocket was a Glock 27 handgun.

“Community cooperation is a critical component in all public safety efforts,” said State’s Attorney Marilyn Mosby. “I appreciate this citizen’s vigilance, as well as the brave officer who chased an armed suspect into an alley to make an arrest. This is exactly how the system is supposed to work to ensure safety and accountability in Baltimore City.”

According to ASA Acquaviva, Mallette was convicted of two prior gun offenses in 2009 and 2011. He was sentenced to a mandatory five years in prison without parole, served that time, and was released with additional suspended time. Mallette is on active probation and is pending a subsequent violation of probation hearing for the nine years he is backing up for his previous convictions. 

Mallette is scheduled for sentencing on September 18, 2017. He faces a maximum of 16 years in prison for his crimes.