Office of the State's Attorney for Baltimore City

For Immediate Release 8/30/2017

Southwest Baltimore— A Baltimore jury convicted Kaneilus Hull of conspiracy to commit the May 2015 murder of Hassan Fields. Assistant State’s Attorney Kurt Bjorklund prosecuted the case.

On May 23, 2015 at approximately 9:00 a.m., Homicide detectives were called to the 100 block of South Augusta Avenue in Southwest Baltimore’s Irvington neighborhood to investigate the discovery of a deceased male in the rear alley. An autopsy was performed on the victim, identified as Hassan Fields, by the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner (OCME) and his death was ruled as a Homicide by Shooting.

The investigation revealed that in the late evening hours of May 22, 2015, Fields was a passenger in a vehicle that was parked in the 200 block of Mt. Holly Street. Two individuals approached the car and engaged Fields, who was now outside the vehicle, in a conversation. Fields was patted down by one of the men, then eventually left with the two men in another vehicle. Minutes later, a portion of the murder was captured on a citizen’s home video surveillance system. The video footage shows a vehicle coming eastbound on Connecticut Avenue, pull near an alley, and stop. Two persons exit the vehicle and walk into the alley. The vehicle pulls forward a few feet towards the mouth of the alley. Moments later, one person runs from the alley and enters the passenger side of the vehicle. The vehicle takes off, makes a right onto Augusta Avenue and heads southbound.

Days after Fields’ murder, Hull was observed operating a two-door Honda Accord in the Leadenhall community of South Baltimore. The vehicle in question matched both the initial description of the vehicle given by the witnesses from the location where the victim was taken, as well as the vehicle observed in the home video surveillance footage of the vehicle pulling up to the alley and then fleeing in the 100 block of South Augusta Avenue right after the victim was shot and killed.

On June 4, 2015, Hull was placed under arrest and charged with possession of an unrelated handgun. Investigators learned that Hull was in communication with the owner of the Accord, which had been purchased just days prior to the murder. Historical cellular data for the Defendant’s phone was obtained and expertly analyzed. This forensic evidence placed Hull in close proximity to the 100 block of South Augusta Avenue at the time when the victim was shot and killed.

“The facts and circumstances of this case made it a rather difficult case to try; however, together, BPD Detectives and the skilled arguments and performance of the prosecutor, exemplified in this case, our daily commitment to ensuring accountability for those with no regard for human life." State's Attorney Marilyn Mosby said.

Sentencing for Hull is set for October 19, 2017. Hull faces life in prison.