Office of the State's Attorney for Baltimore City

For Immediate Release: 10/3/17

South Baltimore— William Thornsberry was convicted of second degree murder after stabbing his fiancé— Sara Stallon— to death in 2014.

Assistant State’s Attorney Sheryl Atkins prosecuted the case.

On August 9, 2014, police were called to a residence in the 1500 block of Marshall Street on a call for a cutting. First responders were initially told there was a suicide attempt at the residence. Upon arrival, they found Stallon suffering from stab wounds to her torso and back. Stallon was transferred to Maryland Shock Trauma, but died as a result of her injuries the following day.

During the course of the investigation, witnesses identified Thornsberry—who on the night of the murder was overheard saying “I killed somebody” in a cell phone conversation outside of the residence. Thornsberry was given an explanation of his rights, and agreed to speak with homicide detectives.

Thonrsberry told the detectives that Stallon had been drinking heavily, when she started a physical altercation with him. Thornsberry said he left the location and returned to find Stallon in the middle of a suicide attempt using a knife. Thornsberry claimed that Stallon was cut while he was trying to wrestle the knife away from her. Thornsberry did not call 911 for medical attention. Instead, he called a friend 40 minutes after killing Stallon—telling the friend that he thought Stallon committed suicide. The friend called 911 from Thornsberry’s phone after he arrived at the scene.

Autopsy reports determined that Stallon’s death was a homicide caused by the cuts she received in the altercation with Thornsberry.

“Witness participation was a critical factor in the successful prosecution of this case,” said State’s Attorney Marilyn Mosby. “The community’s help can often make or break a case, and I’m glad witnesses were able to contribute to delivering justice to Stallon’s family.” 

Thornsberry is scheduled to be sentenced on November 28, 2017. He faces a maximum of 33 years in prison.