Office of the State's Attorney for Baltimore City

For Immediate Release: 3/7/18

Southwest Baltimore — George Taylor was convicted of second degree murder; using a handgun in the commission of a crime of violence; wearing, carrying, or transporting a handgun; and being a prohibited person in possession of a firearm.

Assistant State’s Attorney Sheryl Atkins prosecuted the case.

On March 9, 2017 at approximately 4:30 p.m., officers were called to the intersection of North Monastery Avenue and West Saratoga Street on a report of a discharged firearm. When officers arrived, they observed the victim—Kalil Matthews—unresponsive in a running vehicle. He appeared to be suffering from gunshot wounds to the upper torso. 

Investigation revealed that Matthews picked up Taylor from the 200 block of North Monastery Avenue. Taylor, who was wearing a gray hoodie, got into the passenger side of Matthews’ vehicle. Matthews then drove to the 3400 block of West Saratoga Street, where he was shot in the car by Taylor. Taylor got out of the vehicle and ran.

Police received information connecting Taylor to the crime. Subsequently, Taylor turned himself in to police, and gave a statement as to what he was doing in the area. Taylor told police he was wearing a gray hoodie and identified himself as getting into Matthews’ car. Taylor also admitted that when he and Matthews drove away from Monastery Avenue, they were the only two people in the car. Taylor, however, denied being in the car when the victim was shot.

A witness told investigators that a person with a gray hoodie jumped out of the victim’s car with a gun in hand and ran away from the car.

“The callousness of this murder is unconscionable,” State’s Attorney Marilyn Mosby said. “To think that Mr. Matthews welcomed this defendant into his car then was murdered is extremely troubling. Such violence will not be tolerated, and for those who continue to perpetrate havoc in our communities, you will be held accountable. While there is nothing that can return Mr. Matthews to his family, I hope that this conviction and the subsequent sentencing will bring some measure of solace to his loved ones.”

Taylor is facing a maximum sentence of 68 years in prison. He is scheduled to be sentenced on May 2, 2018.