Press Releases

On January 19, 2008, at approximately 2:00 p.m., a woman left the University of Baltimore Athletic Center and walked towards home through several streets before arriving on her block in the 1300 block of Eutaw Place. While walking through her block, she noticed an unknown male cross the street towards her, but did not pay him any attention and kept walking. 

Upon arriving at her home, she went to put her key in the door and the unknown male came up behind her, displayed a knife, told her not to scream, and instructed her to open the door. The unknown male told her to walk to her apartment and, once they were both inside, made her undress herself. The unknown male took off his clothing and sexually assaulted the victim. He then directed the victim — with the razor or folding knife still in sight — to the bathroom, where he turned on the shower and forced her to bathe both him and herself. After leaving the bathroom and with the weapon still in sight, he sexually assaulted the victim again.

After noticing a bottle of whiskey in her apartment, the unknown male drank from the bottle and forced the victim to drink from it, telling her that no one would believe her if she reported the incident since she had drank whiskey.

The unknown male asked the victim for money. Out of fear and her desire for the assault to end, the victim gave him her debit card, along with her PIN number. The card was later found to have been used to buy $407.88 in purchases after the assault.

The unknown male was getting ready to leave and wanted to lock the door, which only opened from the outside, so he demanded the victim’s keys, which she gave to him. He then tied her to a chair using iPod and cell phone cords before exiting the apartment through the front door which he locked using the victim’s keys. The unknown male took the knife with him, but threatened the victim with death if she reported the incident. She managed to free herself at which time she exited through the rear window, down the fire escape, and to the rear alley.

In the alley, she ran into a neighbor who allowed her to come into his apartment and called the police.

The victim was taken to Mercy Hospital, where she underwent a SAFE exam. DNA evidence was collected from the victim’s body. DNA evidence was also collected by crime lab at her apartment, including swabs of the cords used to bind the victim, a stain found on the victim’s pillowcase, and swabs of the whiskey bottle.

The Baltimore Police Department diligently searched for the unknown male until all investigative avenues were exhausted and the case went cold.

On April 3, 2017, this case was reactivated and Oliver Miller was developed as a suspect. Oliver Miller’s DNA was found on the swabs taken from the victim’s body, the whiskey bottle, the cords used to bind the victim, and the stain on the victim’s pillowcase.  

The victim had never met Oliver Miller before and he had never consensually been in her apartment before that date in 2008.

“This was a horrific attack that I am thankful this young woman survived,” said State’s Attorney Marilyn Mosby. “This case highlights the importance of SAFE exams and the need to have them processed, as it played a major role in the investigation and ultimate conviction of this sick predator.”

Oliver Miller faces a maximum sentence of 180 years in prison — five of the charges for which he was convicted carry possible life sentences. He is scheduled to be sentenced on July 20, 2018.