Press Releases

Investigation revealed defendant’s kidnapping hoax; victim was later found dead on a playground bench in Better Waverly

North Baltimore (February 3, 2020) – Today, Victor Robinson, age 42, plead guilty to first degree murder and was sentenced to life suspending all but 40 years and five years supervised probation. Baltimore Police Department (BPD) detectives determined Robinson strangled his pregnant girlfriend after an argument. Davis was eight to ten weeks pregnant at the time of her death.  

Assistant State’s Attorney Bethany Durand prosecuted the case.

On the morning of September 8, 2018, Baltimore Police responded to a 9-1-1 call made by Robinson where he expressed concern for his girlfriend, Shawna Davis. Robinson alleged Davis was kidnapped and people were calling his phone to request a paid ransom in exchange for her return. Robinson later placed a second call to 9-1-1 from the 3000 block of Independence Street for an unresponsive person. Upon arrival, BPD officers discovered Davis on a park bench at a playground where she was declared dead at the scene. Robinson was present at the playground and told paramedics that Davis was using heroin and reiterated his story to police about unknown persons demanding money for her return. An autopsy later showed that Davis had injuries consistent with strangulation. A toxicology report revealed no drugs or alcohol in her system.

BPD Investigators determined that Robinson had not received any incoming calls during the time period in question. Video surveillance of the park where Davis was found showed Robinson was with her before he called 9-1-1 to report her missing. During an interview with BPD,  Robinson admitted to arguing with Davis and placing his hands on her neck and choking her. DNA swabs confirmed this statement. 

The cold and brutal murder of this pregnant woman is unfathomable. Her life was abruptly cut short by the hands of her partner and her unborn child was never given the opportunity to live,” said State’s Attorney Marilyn Mosby. “This case is particularly heartbreaking as it vehemently reiterates our commitment to always pursue justice on behalf of our most vulnerable victims and today’s conviction is a testament to that pursuit.”