Press Releases

Victim was shot at least five times after an altercation at the corner of Monroe and McHenry streets

South Baltimore (February 3, 2020) – On Friday, Terrance Belton, age 20, and his mother Shakiea Worsley, 37, were convicted in the fatal shooting of a man that occurred in December 2018. After a four day trial, a Baltimore City jury found Belton guilty of manslaughter, using a firearm in a crime of violence, and wearing, carrying, and transporting a handgun. Worsley was found guilty of accessory after the fact to manslaughter. Belton faces a total of 33 years and his mother faces a total of five years in prison.

Assistant State’s Attorney Adam Lane Chaudry prosecuted the case.

On the morning of December 6, 2018, Baltimore Police Department (BPD) officers responded to a shooting on the 300 block of Monroe Street. The crime scene investigation yielded five cartridge casings and one fragment, along with a red iPhone and other personal items. Through video evidence and witness testimony, police determined that Worsley drove Belton to the 1900 block of McHenry Street in a white Ford Taurus. Both parties exited the vehicle and were standing on McHenry Street when the victim, Edward Calloway, approached them with a gun in his hand. According to Belton, the victim gave the gun to another unknown individual and then walked into a store located at the corner of McHenry and Monroe streets. When the victim left the store, he was involved in an altercation with Worsley, and the two fought on the ground before Calloway got up and started walking quickly towards Belton. Belton then shot Calloway five times before leaving the scene with Worsley in the white Taurus. Calloway was pronounced dead the next day at the University of Maryland Medical Center. 

BPD detectives learned the red iPhone, recovered at the scene, belonged to Worsley and was registered under her son's name. It is believed that she dropped the phone during the altercation with the victim. Witnesses confirmed that Worsley drove the car away from the scene after the shooting occurred. Belton admitted to shooting Calloway. 

“While I applaud both the Baltimore Police Department officers and my Assistant State's Attorney on their diligent work in this case, I am saddened that both a mother and her child have made their way into the criminal justice system through this violent act,” said State’s Attorney Marilyn Mosby. "The family’s lives of both the victim and the defendants are forever changed by the poor decisions made on December 6, 2018."