Press Releases

Baltimore, Md. (June 28, 2022) – Today, State's Attorney Marilyn Mosby announced two difficult case outcomes achieved by prosecutors. 

Today, homicide ASA Elizabeth Stock secured the conviction of Tyrone Harvin for the brutal rape and murder of 83 year-old Dorothy Mae Neal. Harvin, who was 14 years-old at the time of the offense, was found guilty by a jury for the following charges.

1. First Degree Felony Murder

2. First Degree Rape

3. Dangerous Weapon

Harvin faces a maximum sentence of Life plus 3 years scheduled for January 3, 2023. 

Harvin Case Details:

On August 29, 2018 at an apartment on the 2300 block of Winchester Street, neighbors alerted Baltimore Police when they hadn’t seen their neighbor, Dorothy Mae Neal in a few days. Officers arrived and noticed dried blood was on the outside of Ms. Neal's door and got maintenance to open it where Ms. Neal was found unresponsive, nude, and face up on the floor. Medics arrived and transported her to Shock Trauma, where despite medical intervention, she succumbed to her injuries. The crime scene consisted of bloody clothing, several condom wrappers, used condoms, blood, and a broken lamp with blood on it that were all located in the living room where the victim was found. Testing on the evidence determined that fingerprints on the condom wrappers belonged to Tyrone Harvin who was 14 years-old at the time. DNA testing determined a partial profile consistent with Harvin on the inside of the condom and the middle of the lamp which also had the victim's blood on it.

An autopsy and sexual assault exam determined the victim had trauma to her head and genitals. The Office of the Chief Medical Examiner ruled the cause of death as multiple injuries with complications.

"Let me be quite candid, while these outcomes deliver justice for the families of Ms. Neal and Elsie Cottman, there are no real winners in these cases. Coming to terms with our youngest homicide defendant to date, raping and killing one of our seniors is devastating. It means the loss of two lives. And then to add, a beautiful newborn baby dies at hands of her own father. As a mother and a granddaughter, these stories are heartbreaking. These are incredibly challenging cases for any prosecutor to take on and I commend my ASAs for handling them with such skill," said State's Attorney Mosby.

Allen Case Details:

Yesterday, a Baltimore City Judge sentenced Quar'an Allen for the brutal beating and subsequent murder of his 2-month old daughter, Elsie Cottman, in the Loch Raven neighborhood. Allen was sentenced to 40 years for Second Degree Murder. This will be served concurrently to 50 years, suspending all but 10 years, and five years of probation for Child Abuse.

Assistant State's Attorney Stacie Reed prosecuted this case.

On May 28, 2019, at approximately 9:30 p.m., a Baltimore Police officer was dispatched to the FutureCare medical plaza at 1601 E Belvedere Avenue for a report of a non-breathing infant. Upon arrival, the officer was informed by an employee that a two-month-old baby, identified as Elsie Cottman, had been brought in and taken to Johns Hopkins Pediatrics Hospital. The officer was told that the child had been pronounced deceased at 9:58 p.m.

The SAO homicide unit was contacted and the responding officer and homicide investigators spoke with the child’s father, Quar'an Allen, who stated that his family had a Memorial Day gathering the day before where he asked his four-year-old son to get the baby from an upstairs bedroom. Allen alleged that his son fell while carrying the infant but that children seemed fine initially. Allen claimed the victim began breathing heavy and showing signs of being sensitive to the touch but he didn’t tell anyone about the fall down the steps. The next day, Allen alleged that he noticed that the victim still had difficulty breathing and found her unresponsive around 9:00 p.m. after laying her down for a nap so he rushed her to the hospital.

Later, during another recorded interview with police, Allen admitted to having made up this story about his son dropping the baby. He then provided another version of events where he had his baby on the second floor of the residence when he heard his phone ring in the basement. He said he rushed down to the main floor and to the basement steps, where he slipped and fell down the steps while carrying his daughter in his right arm. During the fall, Allen claimed he attempted to brace himself but ripped one of the railing bars off the wall. It was after this event that he says he began to notice his daughter’s labored breathing. Stating that he was fearful that nobody would trust him to watch the baby again, Allen placed her in the swing and said she eventually fell asleep. He said did not seek medical attention for his baby and did not tell the child's grandmother what happened when she got home from work. At approximately 9:00 p.m., Allen said he found the child was unresponsive and took her to the hospital.

Both the child’s mother and Allen’s mother were at work all day on the date of the victim’s death and left her in the sole care and custody of Allen himself. On May 29, 2019, an autopsy was conducted by the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner (OCME) and the cause of death was determined to be a homicide through multiple blunt force, and multiple chronic blunt force, injuries. OCME noted the existence of severe new injuries and old injuries in various states of healing. The injuries were not consistent with an accidental fall, but were consistent with a severe beating.