To submit an application for SRU consideration, the conviction must have occurred in Baltimore City and you must be actively serving that sentence in a Maryland correctional facility or in a facility under the interstate compact agreement.
The Sentencing Review Unit (SRU) will prioritize cases utilizing the following criteria for initial review but not wholly sufficient for a recommendation to support release (please see factors for consideration in application process):
1. Individuals who have a documented serious medical condition according to CDC that places them at a higher risk of serious illness or death if they contract COVID-19;
2. Individuals over the age of 60 who have spent more than 25 years in prison on a life sentence OR Individuals who have spent more than 25 years in prison on a life sentence for a crime committed as a juvenile (age 17 and under)
Defense Counsel or incarcerated inmates may apply for sentencing review based on the aforementioned initial screening criteria found on the SAO website. After an initial screening, SRU will conduct a thorough review of whether the SAO should support the release of the individual which includes – but is not limited to - consultation with the victim/next of kin, consultation with the homicide prosecutor who handled any aspect of the case (where applicable), facts of the case, mitigating circumstances, changes in sentencing practices, conduct while incarcerated, reentry plan, certificates of achievement, letters of support, length of time in prison, age, medical conditions, remorse, positive development, family/community support, and likelihood of re-offending.
SRU’s recommendation will be reviewed by members of the Executive Team, before a final recommendation is made to the State's Attorney, who makes the ultimate decision. If the decision is made to support the case, the SRU will work with defense counsel to discern what, if any, legal path for release is available.
In order to submit your application, please send a letter via email or regular mail, with the following information:
· Applicant’s full name & DOC number
· Case number
· Case summary
· Paperwork that shows either the applicant has spent more than 25 years in prison on a life sentence for a crime committed as a juvenile (age 17 and under) OR the applicant is over the age of 60 who have spent more than 25 years in jail. · Paperwork that shows the applicant has a serious medical condition that according to the CDC places them at a higher risk of becoming seriously ill if they contract COVID-19,
· Is the Applicant serving any other sentences in other cases?
· Next parole hearing date
· Contact information for your legal representative, if you have one
Applications can be submitted via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or by regular mail to:
Sentencing Review Unit Baltimore City State’s Attorney’s Office 120 East Baltimore Street Baltimore, MD 21202
GIVEN THE VOLUME OF APPLICATIONS, PLEASE BE PATIENT WHILE WE RESPOND TO YOU.