Press Releases

Bobie Barncord faces Life plus 80 years at sentencing

Baltimore, Md. (April 27, 2023) - Yesterday, a Baltimore City jury found Bobie Barncord guilty on all counts for the murder of Tiffany Jones on August 21, 2018. Barncord was convicted of First Degree Murder, Kidnapping, Conspiracy to Kidnap, and Arson. Barncord’s co-defendant, Willard Turner, was sentenced to Life plus 80 years in February 2020. Assistant State’s Attorney Traci Robinson prosecuted this case.

“This is a heinous case that shows just how long the road to justice can be,” said State’s Attorney Ivan J. Bates. “I thank the Major Investigations Unit for their relentless efforts to bring some measure of closure to Ms. Jones’ family. I am also grateful for the amazing work of the Baltimore Police Department homicide detectives who worked this case with the assistance of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and our office to bring it to closure. The depravity of this defendant’s actions can never be undone, but we can ensure that she never has the opportunity to do this to someone again.”

On August 21, 2018, Baltimore Police officers learned that the victim, Tiffany Jones, was taken at knifepoint by a male known as “Philly,” later identified as Willard Turner, and that the driver of the getaway vehicle was named “Bobie.” Officers ran the vehicle's tag number and found that the owner was the defendant's father, Bobie Barncord.

The following day officers received a call for a report of a fire. Upon arrival, firefighters located a naked and bound female, later identified as Tiffany Jones. Before interviewing Ms. Barncord, a search warrant was obtained for the getaway car. During the vehicle search, the victim’s shoes were located in the back seat floorboard area. Also recovered in the vehicle was a large knife, consistent with the knife described in the kidnapping. Ms. Barncord’s DNA was subsequently found on the knife handle.

The defendant was advised of her Miranda Rights and waived them, agreeing to speak with the police. During the interview, she admitted to participating in the kidnapping and false imprisonment of the victim. She discussed pouring lighter fluid on the victim while a person she declined to identify lit the victim on fire. She indicated that part of the reason she participated in the act was that she believed the victim had stolen her cell phone.