Press Releases

Tavon Scott Jr. now faces 35 years at sentencing 

Baltimore, Md. (July 27, 2023) - Today, State's Attorney Ivan J. Bates announced that Tavon Scott, Jr. was found guilty of voluntary manslaughter, possession of a firearm under 21, and use of a firearm in the commission of a crime of violence for the fatal shooting of Timothy M. Reynolds at the intersection of Light and Conway Streets. Scott faces 35 years in prison and the sentencing hearing has not been scheduled yet.

“The outcome of this case does not change the trauma that has been inflicted across the board by the events that took place in July of 2022," said State's Attorney Ivan J. Bates. “A man will never return home to his family, and a young person now faces decades of incarceration. I thank my homicide division, Baltimore Police, and our Victim Witness Division for working together to see this difficult case through.”

On July 7, 2022, at approximately 4:41 p.m., the Baltimore Police were notified of a shooting that occurred at the intersection of Light and E. Conway Streets. The preliminary investigation determined that the victim of the shooting, later identified as Timothy Michael Reynolds, got into an argument with multiple squeegee workers at the intersection prior to being shot.

“As we have seen, resolving conflicts with deadly weapons is not the solution. We must all work together to end the violence and the trauma inflicted on our residents,” said Acting Commissioner Richard Worley. “I hope this verdict brings some sense of peace and closure to those involved. I want to thank the BPD members, the State’s Attorney’s Office and our other law enforcement partners for their work on this case. We remain committed to getting illegal guns off the streets and arresting violent criminals.”

Video evidence showed the victim walking away from the group of workers with a baseball bat in his hand. Three members of the group followed the victim as he was walking east on E. Conway Street into the intersection of Light Street and began to surround him. A verbal argument ensued, and one of the suspects appeared to throw an object at the victim, striking him in the head after the victim swung his bat at the group. After being struck in the head with the object, the victim stumbled and appeared to become disoriented. At that point in time, the Defendant shot the victim five times while backpedaling away westbound on E. Conway Street. Additional video evidence showed the same Defendant fleeing southbound on S. Charles Street. 

The victim was transported to the University of Maryland Shock Trauma Unit, but despite best efforts from medical staff, he was pronounced deceased. During the course of the investigation, the suspect who shot and killed the victim was identified as Tavon Scott, Jr., currently age 16.